Bushwick was one of the six original towns of Brooklyn. It was founded in 1661 by Peter Stuyvesant as “Boswijck,” or “town in the woods.” During the mid 1800s, Bushwick was home to “Brewer’s Row,” 14 breweries in a span of 14 city blocks. The neighborhood is now reminiscent of the East Village with its diverse community, many of which are artists. Industrial lofts and warehouses have been converted to live/work spaces and art studios but there are also plenty of townhouses and detached homes designed in the Italianate, Neo Greco, Romanesque Revival and Queen Anne styles by well know architects. Bushwick is also home to St. Barbara’s Roman Catholic Church at Central Avenue, one of the tallest buildings in Brooklyn that can be seen from all over Bushwick. Stroll down Knickerbocker Avenue, the main shopping drag, and take the sights in at Maria Hernandez Park, or continue through the shopping district, filled with yellow brick buildings.
In The News: Close-Up On Bushwick. The Boundaries: Runs from Flushing Avenue in the northwest to Broadway in the southwest to Conway Street and the Cemetery of the Evergreens in the southeast. The Commute: L, J and M. Click on the “Directions” link in the menu on the left for exact walking/subway directions and commuting time.